Enjoy Looking and Feeling Amazing in Western Adelaide SA
Thebarton, formerly Theberton, is a suburb of the city of Adelaide, South Australia. The suburb is bounded by the River Torrens to the north, Port Road and Bonython Park to the east, Kintore Street to the south, and South Road to the west. Many buildings and landmarks that bear the name of Thebarton were in the history municipality, the Town of Thebarton, which included most of the adjoining suburb of Torrensville. These include the Thebarton Oval, the Thebarton croquet and bowls club, Thebarton Theatre, and Thebarton Senior College. The historic Adelaide Gaol, nominally shown as being in Thebarton, and the adjacent Thebarton Barracks of the South Australia Police actually lie within the northwestern Adelaide Park Lands.
The well-known Thebarton Theatre is in the neighbouring suburb of Torrensville Thebarton Racecourse, which operated from 1859 (or earlier) to 1869 was formed on grazing land in the area now known as Mile End, and completely built over. The Adelaide Gaol is easterly-adjacent to Thebarton in the western Adelaide parklands. Thebarton has a significant Greek-Australian population and is the suburb with the largest Greek Australian population per capita in Australia. In fact, according to census data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics in 2001, the suburbs of Thebarton and neighbouring Torrensville together are home to 4,471 Greek-Australians; i.e., 18.7 per cent of the total population.
Hilton is an inner western suburb of Adelaide, South Australia. It is located in the City of West Torrens, for which it is the council seat. Hilton is a rectangular suburb lying across Sir Donald Bradman Drive. The local newspaper is the Weekly Times Messenger. Other regional and national newspapers such as The Advertiser and The Australian are also available.
The West Torrens Civic Centre (council offices) are on the corner of Sir Donald Bradman Drive and Brooker Terrace. The Hamra Centre Library is located next door. Hilton Plaza shopping centre is located on the corner of Sir Donald Bradman Drive and Bagot Avenue. Hilton is serviced by Sir Donald Bradman Drive, connecting the suburb to Adelaide City Centre. Hilton is serviced by public transport run by the Adelaide Metro. The bus routes that serve Hilton are 163, J1 and J1X express bus to the city.
Greenacres is a north eastern suburb of Adelaide, South Australia in the City of Port Adelaide Enfield. It is considered as an inner suburb of greater Adelaide. Hampstead Road and Muller Road intersect at the south west corner of Greenacres, making it a bustling area during rush hour. These form the western and southern boundaries of the suburb, with Fosters Road on the east and Redward Avenue on the northern boundary. Greenacres is home to the Greenacres Shopping Centre, which has as its major shops a Coles supermarket (formerly a BI-LO), The Reject Shop and formerly Sam’s Warehouse, Latitude-Bounce Climb Fly. The City of Port Adelaide Enfield Greenacres Library & Office is located to the east of the shopping centre precinct. The suburb also features Hampstead Barracks, a small suburban Australian Army base.
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, at the 2006 census the suburb had a population of 2,171, split evenly between males and females. Approximately 33 percent of Greenacres’ residents were born overseas, of whom the largest percentage were born in the United Kingdom followed by India, Italy, China and New Zealand. 3.5 percent identified themselves as Indigenous Australians. The majority of the population were employed in trades and technical industries, administration or labouring. The predominant stated religion was Catholic, with 19.6 percent identifying as such.
Port Adelaide is a port-side region of Adelaide, approximately 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) northwest of the Adelaide CBD. It is also the namesake of the City of Port Adelaide Enfield council, a suburb, a federal and state electoral division and is the main port for the city of Adelaide. Port Adelaide played an important role in the formative decades of Adelaide and South Australia, with the port being early Adelaide’s main supply and information link to the rest of the world. Port Adelaide is known for its well preserved 19th-century pubs and hotels, reflecting the area’s maritime history in catering to the sailors of trading ships.
The Port River, known officially as the Port Adelaide river, is home to a large population of bottle nose dolphins. The Port River also has a significant amount of mangroves that provide a habitat for a large variety of wildlife. Port Adelaide has many parks. The most recent is a $2 million refurbishment of the Hart’s Mill precinct at Port Adelaide, opened in May 2014. Hart’s Mill, Mundy Street, Port Adelaide SA 5015, Australia. Port Adelaide is home to various markets including the Torrens Island Food Market and the Fisherman’s Wharf Markets which is housed in Shed 1, the last remaining Wharf Shed in the inner Port Adelaide harbour. The Fishermans Wharf Markets are soon to be demolished for the construction of apartments and a public plaza. Port Adelaide’s strong sporting tradition and culture extend into other sports with most clubs using black and white along with the magpie as their club symbols.
Semaphore is a suburb in the Australian state of South Australia located in north-west of Adelaide on the Gulf St Vincent coastline of the LeFevre Peninsula about 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) from the Adelaide city centre. Semaphore is bounded to the north by Union and Hargrave Streets, to the south by Hart Street, to the west by Gulf St Vincent and to the east by Woolnough Road and Swan Terrace. Semaphore is primarily a residential suburb, although its seaside location makes it a popular local tourist destination, with numerous restaurants, takeaway food outlets and other tourism-oriented businesses. It is adjacent to Semaphore South, Glanville, Exeter and Largs Bay. The postcode for Semaphore is 5019.
Semaphore’s beach is the busiest of those on the LeFevre Peninsula, as it is the most convenient beach to people living in the northern suburbs of metropolitan Adelaide. There are large car parks on the foreshore to accommodate visitors. During weekends of the summer months the beach is patrolled by the Semaphore Surf Life Saving club, with the swimming flags often being placed 50m south of the jetty or outside the club at Point Malcolm. The beach is wide, with a large amount of wide sand. The surf is low and good for swimming, but surfing is generally not possible. Sandbars extend out a considerable distance, with holes, troughs and channels in the bars creating the major safety hazard on a generally safe beach.
Tennyson is a suburb of Adelaide, South Australia. Tennyson is in the City of Charles Sturt local government area, the South Australian House of Assembly electoral district of Lee and the Australian House of Representatives Division of Hindmarsh. No point in Tennyson is further than 400 metres from the beach. Tennyson was named by Governor Le Hunte on 5 January 1905, after Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson, former Governor of South Australia (1899-1902) and Governor-General of Australia (1903-1904). Tennyson Post Office opened on 18 September 1962 and closed in 1972.
Tennyson Dunes Conservation Reserve is located on land in the suburb of Tennyson in the Adelaide metropolitan area and which was reported as being dedicated as a conservation reserve by Ian Hunter, the Minister for Sustainability, Environment and Conservation, on 13 September 2015. However, as of December 2016, the conservation reserve has not been gazetted.
West Lakes is a suburb of Adelaide, the state capital of South Australia, Australia. It lies within the City of Charles Sturt. It contains the Westfield West Lakes Shopping Centre, AAMI Stadium and the Riverside Golf Course. It also contains Delfin Island, a residential island within Boating Lake. West Lakes has an irregular shape and shares borders with Port Adelaide, Queenstown, Royal Park, Seaton, Grange, Tennyson and West Lakes Shore.
West Lakes was constructed on a tidal swamp by property developer Delfin (now Lend Lease Communities) from reclaimed land during the early 1970s. Development earthworks commenced in September 1970 and West Lakes was officially opened on 18 March 1977 by the Hon Des Corcoran, MP, Deputy Premier and Minister of Marine. West Lakes Post Office opened on 27 August 1975. The suburb is home to Football Park (also known by its sponsored name of AAMI Stadium), a 51,240-seat sports stadium and home of the SANFL between 1974 and 2013.
Henley Beach is a coastal suburb of Adelaide, South Australia in the City of Charles Sturt. Henley Beach lies between the suburbs of West Beach and Grange. Henley Square is located behind Henley Jetty on the Esplanade. Other greenspace in the suburb is the Henley Grange Memorial Oval and John Mitchell Oval. Henley Beach extends the length of the suburb. Henley Beach is serviced by Grange Road and Henley Beach Road, both connecting the suburb to Adelaide City Centre. Seaview Road runs along the coast. Henley Beach is serviced by public transport run by the Adelaide Metro as well as bus services to Adelaide CBD and Glenelg.
Henley Beach was named for the English town of Henley-on-Thames, the home town of Sir Charles Cooper, South Australia’s first judge. Cooper had a residence in the area adjacent Charles Sturt’s property “The Grange”, for which Grange Beach was named. It has been asserted that Sturt’s suggestion of “Cooper’s Beach” was rejected by Cooper, who gave it the current name. Henley Beach lies in the state electoral district of Colton and the federal electoral division of Hindmarsh. The suburb is represented in the South Australian House of Assembly by Paul Caica and federally by Steve Georganas.
Glanville is a north western suburb of Adelaide, in the City of Port Adelaide Enfield. In 1846 Captain John Hart settled near Port Adelaide on a private subdivision of section 908 of the Hundred of Port Adelaide. Hart’s permanent residence was built on the subdivision in 1856. Hart named the residence Glanville Hall for his mother, Mary née Glanville, and the land division was known as Glanville Hall Estate. The suburb of Glanville was formally established on a portion of the Glanville Hall Estate subdivision in 1951 after the name was proposed in 1945.
Glanville railway station is located on the Outer Harbor line. Situated in the north-western Adelaide suburb of Glanville, it is 13.8 kilometres from Adelaide station. The station opened in 1878 with the extension of the Adelaide to Port Adelaide railway to Semaphore. This remained the main line, until the extension of the current line from Glanville towards Outer Harbor. The Semaphore branch line ran mainly in the middle of Dunnikier Road (later renamed Semaphore Road) and remained open until 1978. In 2017, during a week-long closure, Glanville station was repainted as part of a program to decorate railway stations across Adelaide.