Enjoy Looking and Feeling Amazing in Melbourne Caulfield VIC
The City of Glen Eira is a local government area in Victoria, Australia. It is located in the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne. It was formed in 1994 from the merger of the City of Caulfield and parts of the City of Moorabbin.
The city is served by free council run libraries. Library membership is free. Glen Eira City Council is the third tier of government and deals with services such as garbage collection, building permits and approvals, roads, drainage, health services, food safety, parks and gardens, library services, pets, street parking permits and the collection of rates and charges. The Council meets at the Glen Eira Town Hall.
Carnegie is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 12 km south-east from Melbourne’s central business district. Its local government area is the City of Glen Eira. The suburb’s main shopping precinct is on Koornang Road, between Dandenong Road and Neerim Road. Koornang Park, neighbouring Carnegie Swim Centre, is located between Koornang Road, Munro Avenue and Lyons Street. Originally called Rosstown, after William Murray Ross, a prominent property developer and entrepreneur, a name change came about due to Ross’ failed speculative developments. In 1909 it was renamed Carnegie. It has been suggested that this was done in an unsuccessful attempt to secure funds for a library from the philanthropist Andrew Carnegie but there is no contemporary evidence supporting this.
Carnegie has a diverse cultural cross-section, with many permanent settlers from across the globe, and transient international students studying at the nearby Monash University (Caulfield campus). On Koornang Road alone there are restaurants and grocers offering Malaysian, Korean, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Italian, Greek, French and Russian foods, as well as the Rosstown Hotel. Dandenong road is increasingly becoming a focus of Carnegie’s development. Originally the Rosstown Hotel was the focus of this part of the commercial strip, however today there are numerous showrooms and homemaker stores including Officeworks.
Bentleigh is a residential suburb 13 km south-east of Melbourne, immediately to the north of Moorabbin and east of Brighton. Bentleigh and Bentleigh East lie along the axes of Henry Dendy’s Special Survey of 1841 when he took eight square miles of land extending inland from the Brighton shoreline. The northern boundary was North Road, the southern boundary South Road and the eastern boundary East Boundary road. Centre Road was a convenient centre line through the survey. Bentleigh’s shopping centre runs along Centre Road, and Bentleigh East’s centre is at Centre and East Boundary Roads. Tucker Road is the boundary between the two suburbs, and Bentleigh East extends to Warrigal Road.
The area was known as East Brighton before being named Bentleigh in 1908 after the Victorian Premier, Sir Thomas Bent. East Brighton was occupied by stock runs until the early 1850s, when the increasing metropolitan population resulted in market gardens being established. The sandy soil was easily worked and there were springs in several places, part of the chain of water courses extending through the area to Cheltenham. There was a substantial Catholic community in the Bentleigh market-gardens area and in 1865 a school was opened on a church member’s land in Bentleigh East. There was no church, however, and members attended services in Brighton, Glenhuntly, Oakleigh or Mentone, a situation which continued until 1955.
Bentleigh secured a break from the Brighton connection when in 1862 it was included in the Moorabbin Road District, separate from the municipal borough of Brighton. A State primary school, Bentleigh East, was opened in 1878 in Centre Road, just east of Tucker Road, replacing the old Anglican school. Among the townships between Caulfield and Moorabbin railway stations Bentleigh developed quite strongly in the early 1900s. The Sands and McDougall directory (1909) recorded two general stores, three bakers, three ‘confectioners’ (mixed businesses), a newsagent and a draper in Centre Road. The rural population was reflected in the corn store, saddler and two bootmakers. The bone mill was exiled to Warrigal Road.
Follow the fun to Footscray, the ever-changing neighbourhood that’s a fascinating balance of a growing arts scene and a hotbed of international cultures and delicious cuisines. Whether you’re in the mood for an Ethiopian coffee experience, South East Asian market shopping, fresh Italian cannoli or a juicy steak, Footscray has you covered.
Once a centre for southern European migrants, these days Footscray is home to Chinese, Vietnamese, and increasingly, North African immigrants and their gastronomic traditions. Slurp a bowl of pho at a Vietnamese noodle house, get a masala dosa near Victoria University, tuck into traditional Ethiopian injera flat bread at Nicholson Street Mall. For one of Melbourne’s best steaks, stop at the Station Hotel. Follow it with a craft brew at Hop Nation or a tidy tipple at Back Alley Sally’s. Locate those exotic spices and ingredients at Footscray Market. Busy Little Saigon Market will satisfy your craving for tropical fruits and Vietnamese groceries. Pay your respects to the Golden Heavenly Queen of Mazu at the Heavenly Queen Temple off Hopkins Street, the biggest Chinese temple in Australia.
Maribyrnong is an inner suburb 8 km north-west of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Its local government area is the City of Maribyrnong, part of the River Ward. Maribyrnong takes its name from the Maribyrnong River which bounds the suburb to the north and east. Its other borders are Williamson Road, Rosamond Road, Mephan Street and Owen Street to the south. Maribyrnong contains Highpoint Shopping Centre, one of Australia’s largest shopping centres.
Many native species exist along the Maribyrnong River. Some species thrive in the area. Maribyrnong has a number of parks mostly near the Maribyrnong River. These reserves are typically unsuitable for development due to the risk of flooding and have been established as gardens and reserves for locals to enjoy. There is only one place of worship throughout the entire suburb of Maribyrnong – a church in the Roman Catholic tradition. St Margaret’s which is the namesake of the Catholic primary school is part of the Parish of Ascot Vale and shares the same priest which conducts services at St Mary’s in Ascot Vale.