Enjoy Looking and Feeling Amazing in Eastern Adelaide SA
Parkside is an inner southern suburb of Adelaide, South Australia. It is located in the City of Unley. The suburb was once home to the mental health campus of the Royal Adelaide Hospital. Known as ‘The Parkside Asylum’, it was the primary mental health facility in the state, and occupied approximately one-third of the suburb’s area. Parkside lies on the southern boundary of the southern park lands. It is bounded, among others, by Glen Osmond, Greenhill, Unley and Fullarton roads.
The suburb is within walking distance of the Unley Road shopping and dining precinct. One of the largest parks in Parkside is Howard Florey Reserve, on the corner of Campbell Road and Fullarton Road. Henry Codd Reserve lies between Maud Street and Fuller Street and connects via a walking trail to the Leicester Street playground. There is also Mcleay Park, lying between George Street and Jaffrey Street. Most of these parks are fenced in, making them suitable for small children. All have their own playgrounds. The suburb is serviced by several main roads. Unley and Fullarton roads connect the suburb to Adelaide city centre. Glen Osmond Road passes beside Parkside, linking the inner southeast of metropolitan Adelaide to the South Eastern Freeway.
Hyde Park is an inner-southern suburb of Adelaide in the City of Unley. It features King William Road, a popular shopping and dining destination in Adelaide. Politically, the suburb is safe for the Liberal Party of Australia; at the 2010 election, it attracted 62.33% of the primary vote.
King William Street is the part of a major arterial road that traverses the CBD and centre of Adelaide (the capital of South Australia). It was named by the Street Naming Committee on 23 May 1837 after King William IV, the then reigning monarch, who died within a month. King William Street is approximately 40 metres (130 ft) wide, and is the widest main street of all the Australian State capital cities, which are significantly narrower by comparison. It is historically considered one of Adelaide’s high streets, for its focal point of businesses, shops and other prominent establishments.
Fullarton is an inner-southern suburb of Adelaide, South Australia in the City of Unley. Average temperatures in Fullarton vary an incredible amount. Considering humidity, temperatures feel cold for most of the year with a very low chance of rain or snow throughout the year. The area is somewhat temperate compared to tourist destinations worldwide. Weeks with ideal weather are listed above. If you’re looking for the very warmest time to visit Fullarton, the hottest months are July, August, and then June. The warmest time of year is generally early to mid July where highs are regularly around 68.5°F (20.3°C) with temperatures rarely dropping below 54.9°F (12.7°C) at night.
Dulwich is a suburb in the City of Burnside, Adelaide, South Australia with a census area population of 2,663 people. The suburb is adjacent to Adelaide’s east parklands, and forms part of the western boundary of the City of Burnside. Dulwich is a mix of residential housing and commercial activity–corporate offices and businesses line Fullarton and Greenhill Roads. The suburb is bordered by Rose Park to the north, Toorak Gardens to the east, Glenside to the south and the Adelaide Parklands to the west.
The area, which was settled by Europeans in the 19th century and used as pasture, made a slow transition to a residential suburb which was complete by the mid 20th century. Much of the area’s 19th century housing stock has been recognised with heritage protection. Dulwich’s close location to the Adelaide city centre, grand old houses and leafy tree-lined streets make it an attractive and sought-after suburb.
Hazelwood Park is a middle-upper class suburb in the City of Burnside, Adelaide, South Australia with a census area population of 1,717 people. The suburb is about 5 kilometres east of the Central business district. Hazelwood Park, a suburban park inside the suburb, is the major attraction in the suburb. This includes the Burnside Swimming Centre, a popular site in the summer. Much of the remainder of the suburb is residential but there is a small shopping area along Glynburn Road on the eastern edge. The area was first settled by Europeans in 1848 but has seen many community changes over the years.
The suburb is split in half by Greenhill Road, to the north there are residential dwellings and the park. To the south and east are the foothills of the Mount Lofty Ranges with continued residential properties. Hazelwood Park is bounded to the north by Knightsbridge Road, to the east by Glynburn Road, to the south by Cooper Place and to the west by Devereux Road and a line along the back of the blocks between Hazelwood and Tusmore avenues.
Hazelwood Park’s original vegetation was similar to the rest of the area. Blue and Red gum woodland existed primarily to the north of Greenhill Road, while Grey box woodland existed roughly to its south. The Grey box woodland, when still in existence at the time of settlement, was called the ‘Black Forest’. The park in the suburb is a good example of the remaining Blue and Red Gum. The biggest attraction in the suburb is the park and accompanying Burnside Swimming Centre. There is a lap pool, plus a 25-metre kids pool and a wading pool. There is also a sauna and steamroom, plus two playgrounds and a kiosk. This location is only open through summertime because it is an outdoor pool and is very popular on hot days in Adelaide (greater than 300C) when it is open late.
Kensington is a suburb of Adelaide, South Australia in the City of Norwood, Payneham & St Peters. Unlike the rest of the city, Kensington’s streets are laid out diagonally in order to follow Second Creek. Nearby suburbs Kensington Park and Kensington Gardens are in the City of Burnside.
Kensington Park is in the City of Burnside in South Australia.
Norwood is a suburb of Adelaide, about 4 km east of the Adelaide city centre. The suburb is in the City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters, the oldest South Australian local government municipality. Norwood is named after Norwood, London. It was first laid out in 1847. The suburb consists of four segments, being divided into north and south by the major thoroughfare of The Parade and east and west by Osmond Terrace. It is bounded on the south by Kensington Road, on the north by Magill Road, on the east by Portrush Road and on the west by Fullarton Road. It is a leafy suburb many of whose streets are lined with plane trees and older houses, though in recent years, due to a State Government initiative of “urban-infill”, there have been more higher density (by Adelaide standards) developments. It is now a sought-after suburb to live in, but this was not always the case.
Norwood attracted many European migrants post-World War II. It still has a very high concentration of people of Italian background. This is reflected in the restaurants and fashion boutiques of The Parade. Norwood’s heritage and bohemian character can be ascertained from the political voting patterns; it tends to be more left-wing in nature than the other eastern suburbs around it. Norwood Oval on The Parade is home to the Norwood Redlegs, a South Australian National Football League (Australian Rules Football) team. Also the home of Adelaide Bite.
The queen of Adelaide’s eastern suburbs: hip, sassy and smitten with cafe life.The Parade contains the business centre of the suburb, which includes some professional services but it is better known for its restaurants, cafes, fashion boutiques and hairdressers.
Gilberton (formerly Gilbert Town) is an inner northern suburb of Adelaide, South Australia on the northern bank of the River Torrens a short distance from Adelaide’s city centre. It is bounded by the river, Park terrace, Stephen Terrace and Northcote Terrace. The suburb is largely residential with some large and ornate Victorian homes and approximately 2 kilometres (1 mi) of the Torrens Linear Park as its southern boundary. The large homes in the suburb’s northern section give it a historic character that is protected by Government planning regulations.
The suburb is largely flat from the river north to Walkerville Terrace, then slopes upwards to its northern extent. Due to the elevation of views from the northern section, this land attracted wealthier purchasers. Some of their ornate Victorian homes, sited on large grounds, remain today. At a large bend in the River, the location of the today’s St Peters river park, gravel extraction, sand washing and landfill have all been commercial activities. Sand washing was replaced by a dump in 1961, leading to complaints from the neighbouring suburb of St Peters about fumes from the burning rubbish. After the land was purchased by St Peters the bend was straightened and the dump reclaimed.
A section of the River Torrens, retained by weirs, was the home of the Gilberton Swimming Club, founded 1915, and where many local children learned to swim. Arguably the most notable event to be held here was the Australian Swimming Championships, held between 17 and 24 February 1923, when many thousands of spectators lined the western bank.
Walkerville is a suburb of Adelaide, South Australia. It lies just north east of the city centre, about 4 kilometres from the Adelaide GPO. Walkerville is one of South Australia’s most affluent suburbs and in 2012 it was South Australia’s second “top earning suburb.” Walkerville is the seat and main suburb of the Town of Walkerville, named after Walkerville itself. Being an inner north eastern suburb, Walkerville lies in the state electoral district of Adelaide as well as the federal electoral division of Adelaide.
Walkerville is home to many historical buildings. One such building, which features on Walkerville’s Seal of Office, is St Andrew’s Church. Construction for the church began in 1847 and was completed the following year. The church was initially without a permanent reverend, the congregation relying on the services of the St Peter’s College headmaster, Reverend T. P. Wilson. In 1850 the church’s first resident reverend, Reverend John Watson, arrived. The original building was only 12 metres long and was subject to much renovation in the second half of the 19th century. In 1857 a sanctuary and transepts were added, and in 1886 the original building was replaced by a longer nave. A tower was also added, with clock donated by the widow of Henry Kent Hughes, and whose bells can still be heard among the streets of Walkerville to this day.
Magill is a suburb of Adelaide in the City of Burnside and the City of Campbelltown. It incorporates the suburb previously known as Koongarra Park. Magill is a suburb located approximately 7 km from the Adelaide CBD in the eastern suburbs. Magill was first established as the 524-acre (2.12 km2) Makgill Estate, owned by two Scots, Robert Cock and William Ferguson, who met en route to the newly founded colony of South Australia when sailing out from Portsmouth on the HMS Buffalo and formed a partnership as a carrier and merchant following their arrival on 28 December 1836. It was named after Cock’s trustee, David M. Makgill. The estate’s homestead was built in 1838 by Ferguson, who was charged with farming the estate. Soon after farming commenced the two were short of cash, and thus Magill became the first foothill village to be subdivided.
Magill is home to one of Penfolds Wineries, a shopping centre, a Respite Agency, UniSA Magill Campus and the historic Murray Park Estate. It is sometimes divided into Magill South and Magill North to distinguish what local government area they belong to as Magill is in both the City of Burnside and the City of Campbelltown. Magill has three educational institutions, Magill Primary School on Magill Road, Norwood Morialta High School (Senior Campus) on The Parade, and University of South Australia (Magill Campus) on St Bernards Road.